Saturday, October 11, 2008

Older Slackware versions (II)

Finally got X working on my Slackware 3.5 installation.
Well, not perfectly, but good enough to capture a screen:



I had to configure X by editing XF86Config that's stored in /etc in this version.
After some tweaking I got it to work with the basic "generic vga" driver, with a resolution of 640x480. It should work with higher resolutions, but I guess I need something better than vga for this.
If I succeed, I'll post the secret here :-)

For now I'm using the fvwm2 window manager.
As you can see, the system is still running fine, using only about 14M of memory.

I couldn't get Netscape to work, as it tries to open www.netscape.com, which points to aol, which tries to start a load of Java scripts that Netscape can't process...

To be continued...

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice article Niels, I'm happy I can see how, my favorite distro, Slackware, used to be, as I started using Slackware (and GNU/Linux in general) about a year ago.

So, thank you! I'm looking forward to see and read more about it! <3 Slackware.

(Sorry if my english isn't good enough, I'm not a native english speaker ;))

October 12, 2008 at 12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home